Well, you finally found that dream home and are ready to buy! Next up on the purchase checklist is the home inspection. McIntosh Home Inspection discusses six things you don’t want to hear from your home inspection when buying a home in Prescott.
1. Bad Foundation. You do not want to see the words “foundation problems” anywhere on the inspection report. This is not normal settling…we’re talking about actual foundation issues. You don’t want to buy a home that might have structural weakness due to a bad foundation or a foundation that has settled more than it should.
2. Mold. If the Inspector finds black mold in hidden spaces, the buyer needs to consider how much mold there might actually be throughout the house. Mold can grow in any dark and damp location in the house. It is known to make people very sick and should be avoided at all costs.
3. Water Damage. Any sign of water damage could mean there is a much larger issue. There could be hidden damage that you can’t see. The plumbing could all need replaced. A buyer must proceed with great caution if the home inspection sees signs of water damage.
4. Roof Issues. A bad roof can be very costly to repair or replace. We will do our best to let you know how old the roof is so that you can use that information for potential negotiation with the seller if necessary.
5. Termites. It is one thing to find evidence of a mouse or two…and another to find termites eating the wood in your house. Termites need to be exterminated…the damaged wood replaced…and then constant vigilance to make sure they don’t return. Not something most buyers want to deal with.
6. Old HVAC system. Your inspection will definitely include information on the heating and cooling system installed in the house. If we determine that the HVAC is not performing at optimal levels, you might want to consider the cost of replacing it which could be quite expensive.
We hope that you enjoyed this information. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions. For a professional home inspection, one certified by the American Society of Home Inspectors, contact Josh at McIntosh Home Inspection in Prescott. Call 928-237-0861.