Most people understand how important getting a home inspected by a professional is, but did you know that there are some mistakes often made that could make the process less than favorable for you? McIntosh Home Inspection in Prescott shares some of the more common mistakes folks make with home inspections.
1. Not researching the inspector. Your home inspection is only as good as the inspector doing it. Make sure you don’t simply take whatever name is recommended to you without doing research. A few things to ask the inspectors you are considering using:
How long have you been inspecting homes?
How many inspections have you done?
What are your qualifications, certifications and training?
What was your job before you were a home inspector?
Ideally you are looking for someone who has maintained their education, staying current with updates to different building codes and practices. You also want to hire someone that you can communicate with. You need to understand what he or she finds wrong with your home.
2. Not attending the inspection. Attendance may not be mandatory, but it’s a good idea. Being there to actually see what the inspector sees is will help you understand the final report better.
3. Not reading the inspection report. You paid for the inspection, so why wouldn’t read the results. Don’t be caught off guard because you didn’t review the report.
4. Not getting a pre-sale inspection. Often, the seller of a home will leave the inspection process up to the buyers. This could be a costly mistake if that inspection finds something wrong with your home that you were unaware of. The repair could be substantial and take a long time. This might cost you the sale.
5. Not prepping the home. Keep closets clear, doors unlocked and crawl spaces accessible. The goal is to make sure your inspector can check everything. You wouldn’t want to miss something major because you forgot to remove the padlock.
We hope that the information above will help you to avoid making the same mistakes many others have made. For a professional home inspection, one certified by the American Society of Home Inspectors, contact Josh at McIntosh Home Inspection in Prescott. Call 928-237-0861 or visit our website at http://www.homeinspectionprescott.com.